The most frustrating American Girl item I’ve ever bought!

Not too long ago I shared that I’d picked up Lea’s accessories at Kohl’s.  In case you don’t remember, this is what it includes:

kohls-2

I was really on the fence about this set. The items are cute, but I thought it was kind of pricey for what you actually got. But I really wanted that headband for Lea. So I decided to spring for it.

When I showed it earlier, one of the comments was that it was difficult to get on. I have some of the other ones, so I didn’t think it would be any worse than that. HAH! I tugged, I pulled, I did everything I could think of short of a hand stand. By the time it was over with, my hands hurt and it still wasn’t on. I was stunned because I’d never had issues with the other ones. I needed to think about it.

Then it hit me! In case you don’t already know this, the Josefina face mold is larger than the others. A lot of people have complained about the fact that most of the glasses American Girl has made for their dolls do not fit the Josefina mold very well, if at all. I decided to try my theory by putting this headband on a doll with the original classic face mold. I grabbed Zara and bam! It went on just like the others I had did. Theory proven.

Had I not already removed everything from the original packaging, I would have been tempted to return the whole darned thing. But I had another problem too. All the pulling and stretching I did while trying to put it on her caused some of the stitches to pop. (Apologies for the really bad photo!)
headband-1

Then I got a great idea. I cut the so called stretchy section in half!
headband-2

I then cut a piece of elastic about 1 1/2 inch long and sewed it to the fabric on both ends. It looked like this when it was finished. I used red thread so that if I needed to take it out, I would be able to see it easily.
headband-3  headband-4

And then the moment of truth!

headband-5

Perfect fit!  I’m so glad I decided to give this a try, it solved the issue and made it super easy to get the headband on, even easier than the others I already have.  I do think this was a not-so-good oversight on the part of American Girl when making this item, but at least I was able to solve it easily.  I just wanted to be sure to share it too in case you have ones that are too tight, it’s an easy fix that works very well!