Last week I unveiled Mimi’s bedroom. That was certainly a fun project, but not without a lot of work ahead of time. In case you missed it in my previous post, I decided to put all of the dollhouse stuff in storage for a variety of reasons. The main one being I hadn’t been using it and it was all getting dusty. The good thing is that the dollhouse itself was basically a set of shelves I purchased at Home Depot, so I at least had some place to store all of it. Everything else either went into it’s original box (thank heavens I saved my AG boxes for the larger pieces) or a storage bin. A trip to Target and later a trip to Dollar General and I finally had enough boxes for everything with a few to spare.
I did leave the kitchen out of containers for easy access, that’s a room I can see me using for other things.
Putting the dollhouse away left me with another problem though…what to do with all of my dolls! I’d used the dollhouse as a way to display everyone before, and now with it gone, I needed to come up with a new storage solution. I wanted something that was easy access too since I’ll still be using the dolls in future stories. Hmmm…
In the meantime, it looked a bit like this:
My first thought was to get stands, but not only was I concerned about everyone not fitting in the space I had, but that would start to add up and I really didn’t want to spend a bunch of money on stands. I took a break from working on the room and gave it some serious thought. Then I had an idea pop into my head.
I remembered a tote I had from Thirty One. I actually have three of these and they do come in handy for different things, but it had been a while since I’d used them. I decided to test my idea out first.
I was easily able to fit 7 dolls in this with enough space for one more if I arranged them properly. Plus with more in there, the chances of them falling over was lessened. It was time to really try this out!
I put all of the siblings in one tote, the rest of the siblings and some of the “only children” in the other tote and the smaller tote was just the right size to hold the 6 girls who lived in the dollhouse (ie. the main characters). My idea worked great! In case you are wondering, the two totes with 8 dolls in them are the large utility tote and the one with 6 dolls is the medium utility tote.
I’m pleased with how everything worked out. I think I should be able to easily find things as I need them and with this set up, keep clutter to a minimum. Always a battle for anyone who collects anything.