Hey everyone, how goes it? It’s still kind of crazy here. I started a new project though that I’m going to share with all of you as it progresses. Even though I’m busy, I still have to find a creative outlet from time to time, and I just happened to have a day that I could work on something. All work and no creative play makes Flo a grumpy gal!
By now I think most everyone has seen the new American Girl releases. Some very, very cute stuff. My biggest complaint though: too much plastic! This is almost as bad as wire coat hangers!!! 😉 One set in particular caught my eye though. The Grand Hotel. Cute as all get out, and for this avid traveler, kind of hard to resist.
Just in case you haven’t seen it yet:
I was in love. Then reality set in. The $275 price tag was bad enough, but I thought perhaps this could be my payment from my husband for being his secretary through all of the estate stuff we are dealing with. Upon closer inspection, some things bothered me. Namely, all that plastic furniture. I held off, and then I read a review on it, and this person was very honest and verified my greatest fear. The furniture is thin plastic, more like Barbie furniture instead of American Girl furniture. To me this made absolutely no sense. The walls are wood, but the furniture is plastic??? Shouldn’t it be the other way around? Not only would this piece be kind of large, even when folded up, but it would weigh a ton, and who knows how long the furniture would hold up if it’s that flimsy. This wouldn’t do.
My mind got to working overtime and almost immediately I had a beginning idea formed. It was time to start a new long term project! For those of you who followed my Broke Girl Bakery, you know exactly where this is heading. Are you ready??? Are you sure??? Last chance to bail…
I tossed a lot of ideas around, and some of those are still in the thinking stages, but I knew right off the bat what I wanted to make the walls out of. And, as luck would have it, I just happened to have the main part of this item in my possession! I needed two display boards, the kind kids use at science fairs. Mine came from Dollar Tree, so I had $2 invested. I then made a run to my local craft store to get 3 sheets of black and white scrapbook paper. I was still debating on how to get the main area design, and then it hit me. I used to be very in to paper crafting, mainly scrapbooking and rubber stamping, and I remembered that somewhere in my stash was a rubber stamp set that was very similar to the wallpaper design AG used for their background. I got everything together, and got started.
Using 3 different stamps in the set (1 large, 2 small) I then set about stamping my design all over the two boards. On one board, I left one of the small flaps blank, that would be where the striped paper went to replicate the mini bathroom area. I stamped randomly, but in sort of a pattern. (You’ll notice some stamping on the area that was to be left blank, I used that as my “test” area since I knew I would be covering it with paper.)
Once I was done stamping all over the boards, I then took a red marker and colored the centers of the larger flowers red. You could do this in whatever color you wanted, depending on what your color scheme is going to be! That’s one of the things I love about dollhouse DIY, you can change things if you want to and make it your own.
Depending on how picky you are, this might be a fun project to let the kids participate in. I bet it didn’t even take me a half an hour to get this finished. It might take someone else a bit longer, only because I’m very experienced in this kind of thing, but that’s part of the fun!
I will say that in this instance I didn’t cut the boards down to 24 inches high, I left them at full height. Because of the finished size of this project, I decided it might be best to leave the extra space for photographic purposes. Whether you cut them down or not is entirely up to you.
At this point, I have all of $2.75 invested in the project. Not too shabby. I am going to try and recycle/reuse as much as I can from my existing doll stuff, or if I am making something new, try and make it from materials I already have in my possession. We will see how it goes.
That’s it for this part of the Super 8 Project! Stay tuned for the next installment. Till then, ta-ta!