I’ve had so many great comments on my post about the band and their stage, I decided I would show everyone some of the stuff in detail. It’s all very basic stuff, but I loved how it all came together.
The Stage Background:
The background was really pretty simple. It’s a display board picked up at the dollar store. I cut it down some so that it was only 24 inches high. I then added some scrapbook paper to it so it looked like a brick wall and a wood wainscoting. I loved how it looked when I was done, although I wish I had used something different to stick it to the display board as it was a real headache just using double faced scrapbooking type tape. Live and learn…
I have to say that the minute I saw Tenney’s stage set, this idea sprang to mind. It was just a matter of getting the right scrapbook paper and I knew that the blue wood paper was at Hobby Lobby as I’d seen it there when I went to get paper for another project. It was just a matter of getting there! The brick paper came from Pat Catans (a regional hobby store) and the clip on lights from Dollar Tree.
The actual stage was made from a 24 inch square sheet of MDF. I painted the edges brown, then attached peel and stick floor tiles to it. I gave it a floating look by gluing 4 wooden cubes to it. The funny part is that when I made this nearly 2 years ago, I hadn’t intended it to be a stage, but this worked out even better than my original idea.
FYI–if you buy a sheet of wood or MDF at Home Depot, they will cut it down for you to your measurements! I think you are limited to a certain number of cuts, but they don’t charge extra for it. Good for anyone who doesn’t have a table saw or a good place to cut a large sheet of wood. This particular sheet was originally 24 inches x 48 inches. I have about $25 invested in this whole project at this point, not $225! Plus it all comes apart and I can use the stage for other things.
Now for the drum set! Originally I was going to make all of it from scratch and had saved a bunch of different sized round containers. But then I came across something online and it turned out I only had to make the bass drum. Here it is finished:
I used a large peanut container for this drum, I did cut it down a little bit. I then covered the outside with a metallic type scrapbook paper and the lid I edged with a metallic tape.
I then took two wooden skewers and covered them with the same metallic tape, poked holes in the drum and inserted them so it doesn’t roll away! I didn’t glue them in place, that way I can adjust them according to what kind of surface they may be sitting on.
Now I just need to make a name banner for the front of the drum!
The rest of the drum set was an awesome find! I’d seen these little drum sets on other blogs and on Amazon. You can only imagine how excited I was to find it on a website I hadn’t been on a while for a whopping $7.50!!! Yes, you read that right! You can find it here: https://www.sciplus.com/p/DESKTOP-DRUM-SET_55520
I was going to make a stool for Jenny to sit on to go with the drum set but I never got around to it, and it’s probably just as well as there really wasn’t room on the stage for it anyhow!
I have since picked up some other things for use with the stage, so be sure to check back for what The Beacons are up to next!