In August I shared with you my purchase of the “Seams Perfect” set from Our Generation. Not long after I got it, I was contemplating exactly what I was going to do with it. Space is a bit of an issue in the dollhouse. Suddenly I had a lightbulb moment, I wanted to make something along the lines of Isabelle’s Sewing Studio. I’d seen several different variations that other folks had done, and after some serious thought, I came upon my idea.
Off to Tuesday Morning!!! I have a real thing for decorative storage boxes, I think they are one of the best ideas anyone ever came up with. It’s a great way to store items without them sitting out, getting dusty and looking disorganized. Tuesday Morning almost always has a great selection and they didn’t disappoint me this time either. After great debate, I settled on this box:
I did have to be a little careful as to which box for a couple of reasons. The main one being that I was going to be setting it on it’s side, so not only did I not want the exterior design to have a definite direction to it, but perhaps more importantly, I also didn’t want the interior design to either. This one fit the bill perfectly. When I got it home, I did notice a slight crack in the paper at the main hinge, but I remedied that with a piece of clear packing tape. I would also recommend doing that even if it doesn’t have a crack in it because that is going to be a major stress point when using it.
I had some stuff already, picked up a few things at a thrift store and in a very short matter of time, the sewing space was complete!
A close up of the area for the sewing machine. The Eiffel Tower was a wood decorative piece I picked up a while ago at Pat Catan’s, the dimensional Paris stickers from Tuesday Morning. I had these set aside from when I started the bakery project, but I think they work much better in the sewing space since the dress form has a French Theme as well.
And a close up of the storage space. The “shelves” are a drawer organizer I purchased a while ago, I originally intended on using it in Alya’s room. I ended up not needing it and it worked out perfectly as a place for storage of buttons and other odds and ends. The little chest of drawers and the picture frame I found at a thrift store. The rest of the stuff are items I already had that either came with the sewing set or from other sources. The hanger rod is simply two 3M Command Strip hooks attached so the hooks hang down and I cut off a plastic coat hanger for the rod. The nice part of doing it with the hinged hooks is I can remove the rod and everything folds mostly out of the way for storage. Several items were “finds” from my craft room cleaning.
I hope I’ve given some of you some great ideas as to things you could make out of these boxes. I have seen several made into doll wardrobes. The best part is that they are reasonably priced, this one cost me about $10. Even if you just wanted to use them to store various doll items, they stack nicely and come in several different sizes. If you come up with a unique idea for one, I’d love to see it!