Sorry I had to quote the band The Fixx there, but it just seemed so appropriate for this post. Why, you ask? Well, this is one of those things that started out as one thing, then turned into an idea that led to something else–you get the idea. To start, one of my favorite blogs is Refashionista. Jillian who writes it is incredibly talented and can literally take the worlds worst thrift store clothing find, and turn it into something absolutely amazing. Inspiration enough for someone who sews, but for someone who sews and shops at thrift stores–downright dangerous! Hats off to you Jillian for inspiring me, even if it was just for the dolls. 🙂
Last week I had a trip to Walmart, and of course I had to go check out the infants clothing section to see if they had anything that would work for the girls. Sure enough, I found this!
Cute, huh?! Typical 3 piece set which I’ve purchased before. Fits great, and as usual, my first thought was cut the Onesie off to make it into a shirt. Then I got to looking at it and thought it looked a bit like the new top to the Sightseeing Outfit they made for Grace Thomas, just polka dots instead of stripes. That got me to thinking…wouldn’t that be cute with a fluffy white skirt. I almost headed to Joann Fabrics, when I suddenly remembered something I’d bought last summer!
I bought this off the clearance rack at Target, thinking it might fit a doll. It didn’t. I even washed it thinking it might shrink since it was all cotton. All I got for my trouble was a wrinkly mess and a dress that was now coming apart!!! Grrrrrr…
Because of the way it was made, I needed to do some thinking on it before I altered it, so I shoved it in my sewing stash and promptly forgot about it. Glad I remembered it. So what next? Time to do some cutting! I cut the skirt section away from the top.
The next steps I can’t really explain completely because it was literally a “make it up as you go along” kind of thing. First thing I did was repair where the ruffle was coming off, that was super easy. Then I took a piece of white fabric and cut a long strip of it 2 inches wide. I pressed it, folded it in half and pressed it again, then folded one of the open sides under 1/4 inch and pressed that down again for the entire length. I sewed the unfolded side to the skirt sewing it right on top of the top row of the ruffle to cover the open stitching. (The top of the ruffle wasn’t technically “finished” since in the original dress it would be covered by the ruffle above it.) I attached the two pieces together at the back now that I knew where it fit, cut the excess off, then I folded the part that I had pressed under 1/4 inch over this and top stitched it, leaving an opening at the back for elastic. Inserted the elastic, sewed up the opening and voila! I had a skirt. Clear as mud, huh? I apologize for that lousy description, but sometimes when you’re creating as you sew, you don’t think about taking pics, and to be honest, I wasn’t 100% sure how well it was going to work.
So here is what the Grace outfit looks like: (like any of you probably need reminding, duh)
Since Alya looks the most like Grace of any of my dolls, I asked her if she would mind modeling for me. She was really in to it, even braided her hair like Grace’s. The finished product:
Here is a close up so you can see that the skirt even has flocked polka dots on it, I’d forgotten all about that until I dug it out!
She really got into the whole modeling thing:
So after I was finished, this was still sitting on the dining room table:
ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can’t believe I did that. Yes I can. Quit laughing! I guess it will go back into the stash box until I come up with some idea for it. I have a few already, you know I won’t be happy until I’ve come up with something!