Remember those cool chair shaped picture frames I shared not too long ago in Doll Sized Finds? I got busy and adapted them so they don’t look quite so much like frames anymore, now they are chairs with cushions. Originally I had thought about just putting some scrapbooking paper in the frame part but then I remembered a technique I had learned as a picture framer. (I worked in that field for 8 1/2 years) I had a customer who used to do a lot of needlework, and she didn’t want it behind glass plus she wanted it to be “puffy”. I basically adapted that technique to this project. It was simple–or at least it should have been. I have misplaced my quilt batting, I probably spent 10 minutes looking for it and finally gave up. I came across some packing material that I thought would work just as well, thank heavens I save all sorts of stuff like this for when I sell things on Ebay.
I used a scrap of fabric I had left (some of you might recognize it from a doll dress I made last summer), a scrap of cardboard, and the packing material. It comes in sheets and is sort of like foam. I also used some double stick tape and scissors. That’s it!
First I took the frame section apart and traced the glass onto the cardboard and cut it out. You won’t need the glass anymore for this project, so you can either put it somewhere safe for a future project or toss it. Then I cut the foam 1/4 of an inch smaller than the cardboard and used the double faced tape to attach it to the cardboard, making sure to center it before I adhered it. I used two layers of the foam to give it added thickness.
At this point I inserted it into where the glass used to be in the frame. I folded the corners out of the way, replaced the backing and screwed the turnbuckles backdown. I can’t really show you a photo of this because I couldn’t do all of this AND hold the camera. Plus there isn’t much to see, you’ll just have to figure it out. I have confidence in you. 😉
I like how these turned out, even if I couldn’t find my quilt batting! The best part is that if I get tired of this fabric, it can be easily changed. These were definitely worth the $8 each I paid for them, they appear to be solid wood too, so even if they get a little beat up from use, they can be painted.
I did eventually find the quilt batting–you know, in the last place I looked!!!