With Cassandra joining the group, we needed another bed! I’d been debating on what I wanted to do for a while. I really didn’t want to purchase another bed, as anyone who collects this stuff knows, it takes up a lot of space. Then I had one of those “well duh!” kind of moments. Anyone who reads any American Girl/18 inch doll blogs knows that so many people reuse the boxes for everything and anything. And I had the perfect box for a doll bed right under my nose, I just hadn’t thought about it.
The box: this is the box that the American Girl of Today bunk bed set I have came in. I didn’t want to get rid of it because it does come in handy for storage plus anyone who collects knows that should you ever decide to sell any of your stuff, it usually commands a higher price if you still have the box. I have no designs on selling this set anytime soon because I just love it, but you never know. The dimensions were perfect though since it was actually made for shipping a bed!
I put on my thinking cap for several weeks before I started working on it because I had a couple of things I wanted to do, but I did not want to alter the box in any way. Hmmmmm…then all of a sudden I got a brain storm.
First off I didn’t want all of the black to show. It would be fine if some of the bottom was showing because that usually happens with a real bed. So I set to work and made a bed skirt to cover the box:
On the back side I used two strips of elastic, first off to make it fit the box tighter. I had an ulterior motive with this too.
I am really tickled with how it turned out! The pink paisley fabric is flannel, I first saw this on Etsy, someone had a bedding set for sale made out of it. I fell in love with it, but couldn’t find the fabric anywhere. 😦 Several weeks ago I finally found it while looking around a Walmart near a friend’s house, I was so excited. The turquoise fabric came from JoAnn Fabrics. The little blue throw pillow came with an Our Generation set that had a sleeping bag in it, I couldn’t get over what a perfect color match it was to my project, it just had to go on this bed.
Marie-Grace couldn’t get her PJ’s on fast enough to crawl in!
I have a couple of pieces of furniture to paint to go with this, I was able to find the exact turquoise color in paint. With all of these projects-I need a 48-hour day about now. 😉