Sorry it took me so long to get back to this, but I’ll be honest, until about 2 weeks ago I wasn’t sure which way I wanted to finish it. But I finally finished it, and I’m going to share that with you. If you missed the first part, click here: Platform bed.
I finally decided I wanted it to be a daybed. I thought this would come in very handy in my doll house project, especially since I have 4 dolls and only room for two bedrooms. It will be in the living room and can be a sofa by day, bed by night.
I cut two pieces of foamboard 12 inches x 8inches:
I glued those pieces to each end of the bed. Thank heavens for my husband and his jars of food product samples, they made great stabilizers for the ends while I waited for them to dry! Don’t do what I did though, be sure to put something under this, I wasn’t thinking and spent some time cleaning up tacky glue off my table pad
I let that dry for a couple of hours to be sure it was stable. Then I cut another piece 8inches by 20 1/2 inches and glued it to the back. Let it set for 24 hours before doing anything else with it so it is definitely dry.
Now that it’s done I just need to paint it. If you do paint foam board, DO NOT spray paint it, the spray paint will melt the foam. You need to use acrylic paint and a brush. I made a mattress and bedding set for it I still have to make some bolster and throw pillows for it. You’ll get to see it when I do the official “House Tour”! I have to say that $2 for two sheets of foam board was a steal in comparison to what this bed would have cost had I bought one similar. I don’t know that I would recommend this for small children, but for a kid 8 and over who is careful or for a collector display, it is perfect.
I also managed to get two of my other pieces spray painted at long last, so I have lots of finish work to do on those two pieces. Stay tuned 🙂
Have a great weekend!