I’ve been sick all week with a sinus infection and it’s really been bugging me that I haven’t been able to work on my doll house. 😦 Today I finally felt good, so I decided to get some flooring in. It actually went better than I expected it to which is always nice when you don’t feel well!
Each room takes six (6) 12 inch x 12 inch peel-n-stick vinyl tiles. I picked out 5 different patterns so each room was different. I only actually had to buy tile for four rooms as we just had our bathroom remodeled this summer and had almost a whole case of tiles left when we were done. I do want to keep some of those “just in case” so I bought the rest. Home Depot seemed to have the best prices, running from 30 cents per tile to 79 cents per tile.
First thing I did was to make a template for cutting out the corners. I figured it was easier to screw up a piece of paper than one of my tiles!
Once I was happy with the fit of my template, I marked the corners of 4 tiles for each room.
I marked them on the top so it was easier to see the edges of the tile, I didn’t want to have to work around the paper backing and perhaps end up with it misaligned.
I started laying my tiles by doing one end first, then the middle. At this point I layed the last two tiles where they would go to be sure everything ft right, lucky for me it did. 🙂
It was nice to have some flooring down so I had some place to set things and they wouldn’t fall through. Of course, Marie-Grace and Kit wanted to check it out!
I have a bunch of little pieces like this leftover now, trying to think of something I can use them for…
I moved on to the room beside this one, I love how it turned out. This is what we have in our bathroom, I guess I’d better like it! Since this area has no posts in it, I only cut the corners at an angle so you didn’t end up stabbing yourself on the sharp corner.
I really only intended to do those two rooms today, but I kept on going.
The Living Room area:
The Dining area:
I’m having a love/hate relationship with that last one. I loved it when I picked it out because it looks like smaller tiles, keeping it proportional with the dolls. The problem is it is a much thinner tile than the others and it keeps popping up. I guess I’m going to have to put some kind of weights on it for a few days and see if that helps. Grrrr…
Only one room left to do and I’m holding off because A)it is tile of a similar weight/grade as the dining area tile and I want to see what happens and B)I have a bunch of stuff sitting on where it goes and I don’t feel like moving it. I’ve got plenty to do in the meantime, hopefully by the time I’m ready for it I will have figured out if I’m going to use what I have or go purchase something else. Time will tell.