I had a bee in my bonnet about making a bed for an 18 inch doll. I watched a really interesting video on My Froggy Stuff that I think inspired me a bit. I made some changes to it, but overall, so far so good!
The example on My Froggy Stuff is made out of corrugated cardboard. I’m not a big fan of corrugated for one main reason-it bends way to easily. It’s because of the way it is made and I decided to use foam board instead. I have a ton of experience using foam board from when I worked as a picture framer, we used it for all sorts of different applications. You can get 20 inch x 30 inch sheets of foam board at Dollar Tree for $1 too, so it’s not expensive at all. You need at least 2 sheets for this bed.
I decided to start out with just making a plain platform bed since I wasn’t 100% sure what direction I wanted to go with this bed. I cut my foam board as follows:
1 piece, 12 inches x 20 inches
2 pieces 3 inches x 20 inches
3 pieces, 3 inches x 11 5/8 inches
I used my self healing mat, my quilting straight edge and my rolling cutter to cut these pieces. If you are younger, you should get some help from an adult if you decide to use a rolling cutter as they are VERY VERY sharp and you could be seriously injured if you don’t know what you are doing. I’m not kidding either, I don’t want to hear that anyone cut a finger off or anything, so please, do not attempt using one of these if you aren’t used to using one.
After I cut my pieces, I glued the 3 x 20 pieces to the TOP of the 12 x 20 board on either side. I used Alene’s Clear Tacky Glue to glue these pieces. You will need something to set on either side of these boards to keep them upright until they have dried some. You could also use a hot glue gun for this, I couldn’t find mine, so that is why I used the Alene’s glue. Either works well, you just have to be a little more patient if you don’t use hot glue and allow sufficient drying time.
I allowed about an hour for it to setup some and then I glued two of the 11 5/8 x 3 pieces to the ends, fitting them between the two longer pieces. I let this dry a little while and then took the remaining 11 5/8 x 3 piece and put in right in the middle to serve as a support for the middle of the bed to prevent sagging. Once again, you will need something on either side of all of these pieces to keep them upright while they dry. I used my glue bottle, a tape measure and a few other heavier things that I could easily find. Nothing fancy!
After everything dried, I decided to test the finished piece out to make sure that it was solid and wouldn’t easily fall apart or collapse. Rebecca laid on it for a couple of days for me, moving around to different spots to test it out thoroughly! I owe her an ice cream 😉
Here are photos of it finished at this point so you can see how it looks in case you want to try making one yourself:
Now I just need to decide how I want to finish it–a headboard, headboard and footboard, or three sides so it can be used as a day bed. Stay tuned, I will be sure to share how I finish it!
Jump to part two here: Platform Bed Part 2